Joining the Order
Wednesday, June 22, 2005


The last three days I have been with 7 other summer interns for training/orientation to InnerCHANGE . Tonight we met in the Mission Dolores, the oldest standing building in the State of California that is located a few blocks from where I live. (In the first picture, it is the smaller building to the left of the basilica.) It was started in 1776 by members of the Franciscan Order of Friars who's founder was St. Francis of Assisi. Mission Dolores was chosen for our commissioning because InnerCHANGE takes much of its identity as an order from the Franciscan's, a mendicant/apostolic order started in 1206.
One thing that defines an order apart from simply a missions sending agency is that they have defining commitments that each member agrees to follow and that hold them together accountable as a community. (For instance, the Franciscan Friars vowed to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience.) The six commitments all members of InnerCHANGE make are to Humility, Simplicity, Purity, Service, Community, and Prayer. (full version @ IC site)
Following in the footsteps of many saints for nearly a thousand years, I took my first steps toward joining a Christian Order. This is not for show, for power, or out of guilt; I have come to realize in ministry that burnout is a reality too dear to most missionaries, especially missionaries amoung the poor and marginalized. I have observed how these six commitments have helped ministers to maintain a consistent rhythm of spiritual formation, stay in a supportive and accountable community, and stay centered. The goal I wanted to aim for was a lifestyle of ministry that would be wholistic and sustainable for a lifetime, if need be. Tonight in the Mission I was able to pray through the six commitments that comprise this Order and commit to pursuing them with God's help and making them the defining characteristics of my life.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 1:13 AM
Labels: San Francisco

I was just wondering if you could explain what you're doing in more concrete terms. Is this a commissioning for the summer? (because it doesn't sound like that). Is this more of a lifetime commitment? You said that what you did is the beginning of a process. What does that process look like? Is it more of an exploratory process, or have you made a serious commitment? Are you still going back to Wheaton in the fall? Regardless of what decisions you're making, your commitment to find your purpose in life inspires me. Peace out.
It was not as much a comissioning for the summer, since I have been with InnerCHANGE for over a month already now with the internship. The six commitments are something that were introduced to us, and that are much more a part of the Apprenticeship (an introductory year of training and exploring) and full time involvement with InnerCHANGE. But even as an intern who is gaining exposure to this Order, I see the value in the commitments and want to move my life habits in that direction.
I just read through your whole blog and am blessed. I love to hear how your ministry is going and how God is changing you. I've been so busy lately between interning, working for Dad and helping with the house... Sorry, lost my train of thought. There it is. That I haven't had much time to be in community. It's taxing because that is where I draw much of my desire to keep going. I don't know what I'm trying to say. My thoughts are all scattered and incoherent. I have the hardest time piecing anything together. Thank you again for your thoughts. It reminded me of reading that Brennan Manning book you loaned me. Ragamuffin Gospel. Anyhow. God bless, Your Brother in Christ, Nathaniel
So, you said you were exploring those six commitments. Rock! Even if you just work with them this summer, each one of those commitments is something all Christ-followers should do. Some of the stuff in there is specific to IC it seems like, but the general idea of them all is very partakable. It is exciting to see the mystical fused with the practical, something I am very interested in. So again, CALL ME!!!! Love you, bro!
Pax Christus