So wait, I thought....
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Some people have been asking whether I moved into Casa San Dimas; the last couple of weeks I had been interested in moving from media work to more Incarnational work with the guys at the transitional home. I didn't end up moving in with them full-time for a number of reasons, the biggest being
Action - Reflection.
This is a popular idea at InnerCHANGE and I've come to appreciate it. The idea is to do the intensive missionary and service oriented stuff and then step back to reflect, especially at the beginning/internship stage. As most of you know, the last two months or so of my internship have been jam packed with new experiences, learning, observing, and participating in work with the homeless, media work for a conference, quasi-incarnational work with young Latino men, Christian Communal Living, and much, much more - ACTION. When I felt God leading me in the direction of more people-oriented incarnational ministry at the end of my internship, my first instinct was to "do something" about it, and move into Casa San Dimas.
After consulting with some older and wiser leaders here in the city, they wisely suggested not jumping in at the end of my time here. I need these last few weeks to simply REFLECT, journal, and pray about what God has already done, instead of jumping right into another ministry, then flying out to jump into Assistant Residence Director training back at Wheaton. I have since seen how valuable this time at the end of my internship can be to bring closure and really mine all the valuable lessons and insights out of the summer.
I will still be involved in hanging out with the Casa San Dimas guys, (like last night when I went over and watched the Mexico vs. Jamaica soccer game with them) but it will not be a primary, all-consuming commitment.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 1:37 PM
Labels: San Francisco
