Solo
Thursday, June 01, 2006

A camping trip in the Cascade Mountains has been long overdue (like, 4 years overdue). So I went on a solo trip last night back up near the top of the ridge above Rimrock Lake. I found a meadow that had been clear-cut some years ago that provided a perfect view above the trees of the whole valley, Rimrock Lake, Mount Rainer, and the Goat Rocks Wilderness. (If you click on the panoramic photo above, you can see my tent and campfire. It's 7 photos, 180 degrees.)
I had a peaceful night of silence and solitude, complimented by the unmatched pleasure of sitting by a crackling campfire. A dazzling sunset finished it off.
This all again reinforced my conviction that experiencing the majesty of nature as we can observe it always produces some form of worship; whether that be worship of a creator, of the creation itself or of our dominion over it - it will move us to worship. I was glad to end my day on the mountaint with a rousing solo rendition of the song Let Us Adore before crawling into my sleeping bag. I stood on a high ledge and sang at the top of my lungs, echoing across the vast empty valley stretching out before me. I had the strangest feeling that though no person heard me, all creation was singing along in harmony.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 12:37 AM
Labels: Yakima Washington
2 Comments:
-
- Anonymous said...
11:38 AMIt was.- Anonymous said...
9:02 PMbenjamin, i miss singing that song with you at bro-sis fellowship. and i miss singing in the mountains too...beautiful and inspiring to know He's bigger than all of this in such a tangible way.
