Can God Use A Playstation 3?

It started out like any other Thursday evening - and then I saw her. (No, she wasn't a PlayStation 3. Shame, shame, shame. You'll have to read to the end to figure out who she was.)

First, a little background before I finish the story. Last Thursday, all the feelings of the past three weeks came to a head - feelings of disappointment ("Why am I in Minneapolis again, God?"), ineffectiveness ("Why don't I have any Native friends yet?"), and just general confusion ("How am I supposed to start a house church when I'm still working on the basics of what following Jesus requires of me?"). I finally reached a point of clarity (a.k.a. God graciously gave me a glance in a mirror) enough to realize that my thought patterns weren't only lacking trust - they were plain self-defeating! I was able to thank God for helping me to see and say heck with circumstances - God brought me here for a reason and I better start thinking and acting like I believe it (which I do). Now back to the story.

....Later that day....

It started out like any other Thursday. I was walking down the alley back to the house to change before going to work at Target. Then I saw her: a short, fast-walking bundle of winter coverings headed straight towards me in the alley. I gave a big smile and said hello. The woman stopped and gave me a hearty handshake and we started into a remarkably friendly conversation. This energetic, African American mother was going around the neighborhood trying to raise money for her niece's medical bills. She had partnered with a local church to help finance the medical bills. I at first assumed it was some sort of a scam until 10 minutes into the conversation after she had asked me about my love life and I was asking her to come inside the house and warm up. To make a long story short, I made a friend and told her that I didn't have any money, but that as soon as I did, I would get a hold of her. I really had no idea where the money might come from, I just knew I didn't have any at the time.

Fast forward three hours - I'm at work on the sales floor in Target, instead of in electronics like usual. I happen to walk past the electronics department, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a brand new unopened pricelessly rare PlayStation 3 being RETURNED (unheard of) to Target and locked up in the glass cabinet. I went on my break as quick as quick, pulled out the PS3, and bought it before you could say Saint Nick. The first thought that entered my mind was "God, why did you have me walk by electronics right then? A minute later, and it would have been gone." My second thought was "Gee, I could sell that for some profit on eBay!" My third thought was, "I think God just gave me an opportunity to follow through and help out Rosalyn!" So there it is - I'm selling the PS3 on eBay. Some happy person will get a PS3, and Rosalyn's niece will get all the profit - some money from God, because I think it was a set-up.

You can be praying for me:

That God would open doors for me into relationships in the Native Community;

That a more strategic, more flexible job than Target might develop in the next month before my seasonal contract ends;

That I would have direction regarding an opportunity to take a leadership role with Solomon's Porch, a church I've been attending that wants to help with a free dinner site in my neighborhood near the Native Housing area.

Posted by Benjamin Washam 11:26 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment