What Are We Inviting People Into?

I often wonder what we are inviting people into when we invite them to live for Jesus Christ. In a sense, we are inviting them first into our own lives as individuals and communities. Do we invite them into a kingdom of guilt-driven, over-committed, stressed, distracted, busybodies? This is the typical picture I have of people involved in full-time ministry, and it is a tragic picture. It seems than in many Christian circles, burnout has become an accepted side-effect of ministry, even a battle scar worn proudly by those who have learned to burn the candle at both ends. This too, is tragic.

One of the main differences in being a part of an order like InnerCHANGE as opposed to a missions agency or organization is that our people (interns, apprentices, staff, etc.) are more valuable to us than the task. In other words, the spiritual and personal formation that is taking place in each of us in the long run is as important as the "work" itself. This is a value that I have seen modeled over and over again throughout my life with InnerCHANGE. My spiritual, physical, and emotional health are not simply private matters that I am personally responsible to care for outside of, and top of my regular ministry.

Is it possible to minister out of fullness? Is is permissible to build into our ministry schedules times of solitude and prayer? Is it profitable to invest as much time in our own spiritual formation as we give to others? Is a sabbath worth what it costs? For the sake of those who must look to us to see the kingdom of God, I pray the answer is yes.

Lord Jesus Christ, make our communities and lives into winsome parables. May we demonstrate the reality of the peaceable kingdom you said was near at hand. Keep us from trusting in hurry and success rather than in your Spirit "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8

Posted by Benjamin Washam 12:48 AM  

2 Comments:

  1. jdances said...
    Very deep reflections Benjamin. I think all too often, we don't minister (or work or socialize) out of fullness. At least in my own workplace this past year, I've been thinking, man, this organization could probably operate a whole lot better if the leadership took the time to make sure that it's staff and interns were wholly looked after and if we actually came together as a team. Of course, it's not a Christian environment, so there's not the same value to take the time to do that, although in Christian circles, I don't believe that happens a lot either.
    Luke Brewster said...
    Ben, these very thoughts have been in my mind as I consider how/where to give my time and structure my walk with Christ. Currently there is a debate whether I will postpone senior year of Wheaton in pursuit of a more "full-time" ministry. Would you be willing to talk a little about InnerCHANGE with me? Text or call me at 240-682-0042 or email lbrewster at g mail dot com; I'd love to talk to you and compare ideas/thoughts about the future of the church and our lives specifically.

    I'm so glad I got to know you even in the limited way I did at Wheaton. Hopefully this will continue.

    In search of the peace of Christ, and always sincerely yours, Luke

Post a Comment