Touring DC, and Thanksgiving in South Carolina

Washington, DC - our nations capital! What this really means for the average visitor is that all of the museums and major attractions are free. (For those of you using the W-2 EZ tax form because you are below that beautiful standard deduction, it's truly free.)

With friends for tour guides I hit all the major attractions, as well as an added stop to get a library card at the largest library in the world - the Library of Congress. Did you know that they hold a hard copy of every book, CD, magazine, map, photo or movie published in the United States? (Many other countries also send them copies of their yearly publishings.) They receive over 22,000 articles every day! It blew me away that so much of the worlds knowledge existed in one place, and that it fairly accessible to the public (with a library card).

For the actual holiday feast I journeyed south to Tega Cay, South Carolina to spend the day with some Wheaton College friends. I was overjoyed to find that warmth and fall leaves were still in office! (I had left Minneapolis with cold air, gray skies, and naked trees.)



A note about the DC subway - the stations look like something straight out of a 1970's Star Wars movie, or even better, from Disneyland's old school Star Tours ride.

Posted by Benjamin Washam 12:53 AM  

2 Comments:

  1. threetwentyone said...
    It's your pictures, dude. They make it load slow. You have more pictures to load than posts! So I guess I'll just have to wait that 40 seconds to see your page. ;-)
    Anonymous said...
    ha HA! that's exactly what the subway stations reminded ME of. i kept looking for the little grate that would lead me down to the trash compactor but alas, when i found it my blaster was jammed and i couldn't get it. probably for the better, though.

Post a Comment