Salt Lake City, UT

I am writing this post from the fabulous public library in Baker City, OR. I-84 has been closed due to snow yet again. I don't know how long the closure will last, but I might not reach Portland today, which was my unspoken goal. After being held back in Rawlins, WY the night before last, I was determined to make it into Salt Lake City. On Tuesday I crossed the continental divide at 7000ft. and breathed a sigh of relief. Little did I know that the last long descent through red canyon walls into the Salt Lake area would be the most treacherous section of the day. Now I see why the city was host to the winter Olympics!

I spent the night with the family of a random friend who happens to live in Romania. She received my desperate e-mail the morning I left Rawlins and called me from Romania to say I could stay with her parents in Salt Lake City! I was well taken care of, and the city was truly a sight to see. The large building on the right is the Utah State Capitol.

Posted by Benjamin Washam 4:07 PM  

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    So Washington is having snow problems as well. Snoqualamie has been closed for three days now. Tuesday alone they moved over 129000 dump trucks or 1 million cubic yards of snow. But for some strange reason it has been snowing everywhere but here. There are storm warnings just west of us and a little east of us but for the last three days we have been fine. Spokane school systems closed for the week. Washington state is closed today and tomorrow. And people were having problems driving in the snow in EUGENE, OR. anyhow, good luck and drive safe. Nathaniel
    Anonymous said...
    my roomates are from baker city so lemmie know if you need anything while stuck!
    -claire

Post a Comment