Goodbye World Christian Fellowship
Sunday, April 23, 2006

Tonight is my last night at World Christian Fellowship; a weekly, student-run service of Intercession, Celebration, and Mobilization for the church all around the world. As one of three rotating worship leaders, I have had the privaledge of leading worship every third Sunday night this year.
Creating music with a team of talented musicians is one of the funnest things I can think of to do, and combine that with the ability to lead a group of people into the presence of God - it is quite exhilarating. Not only this, but the gospel is demonstrated to me in a powerfully personal way when I stand in front of a group of people, fully aware of my sinfulness and weakness, and I can worship God anyway out of love and obedience. At those times, God's Spirit works mightily despite my fallen humanity.
It's hard to explain objectively, but putting on the mantle of being a worship leader does make me feel like I'm in a pastoral role, and the weight of that responsibility weighs heavily on me as I plan and lead. It keeps me accountable to my spiritual health, as the lack of communion with Christ is very noticeable to me when I'm am preparing for a night of worship. I enjoy the pastoral part of leading worship as much as the music part - the ability to teach and lead in an encounter with Christ in a way that helps the church mature spiritually.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 2:47 PM
