Feliz Navidad and God Jul! A Venezuelan and Swedish Christmas

My Christmas Eve and Christmas day turned out to be more fun and family than I could have imagined! The Venezuelan family who lives beneath me invited me over for their Christmas Eve celebration, complete with traditional hallacas and pan de jamon. (The same stuff my family ate every Christmas Eve when we were in Venezuela!) I was warmly greeted by the Quevedo family and their three Mexican friends who joined us for dinner. We had a great time eating and joking around about how weak Venezuelans' tongues were with spicy things compared to Mexicans' (all in Spanish, of course.) It's amazing how quickly my Spanish comes back when I'm immersed in it again! After dinner they opened gifts and we sang a lot of songs together, including a very energetic version of Feliz Navidad!

Christmas Day I was invited to join the Olson family who lives across the alley from me. This is the family of a good friend of mine from Wheaton. They have welcomed me in and become like a home away from home. We stuffed ourselves with traditional Swedish food and generally took a relaxed and lazy approach to the whole day. Christmas night I finished off with another grand meal with another great Wheaton friend in Cottage Grove, a suburb about 30 minutes from Phillips neighborhood.

All in all, though I sorely felt the lack of the other Washam 7 back in Rimrock, WA, God provided families here to make me feel at home.

Posted by Benjamin Washam 12:08 AM  

3 Comments:

  1. Cash for Cars Indianapolis said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    Nathanael said...
    Dude, I don't think your video is working. Trying to be all cool and put up video on your blog. Sheesh. Should'a just stuck with writing letters delivered by the Pony Express, that's what I say!
    Benjamin Washam said...
    Sorry bro, I don't know what the problem is. Internet Explorer is having problems, but Mozilla Firefox should play it fine.

Post a Comment