The Death of a Computer. Resurrection?
Sunday, February 04, 2007
My desktop computer died the other day, which is one reason why it's been so long since I blogged. I was zooming around the earth looking at mountain ranges in Venezuela or something on Google Earth (shameless plug) when my computer skipped the blue screen and went straight to black. The internal workings slowly spun to a stop till there was an ominous silence in the room. I tried everything, including power switch CPR (Continuously Pressing Repeatedly) and the occasional kick under the desk.
Upon further inspection and slightly invasive surgery under the metal skin, I determined I needed expert help. The PC 911 speed dial saved on my cell phone cleverly connected me to my computer genius friend from back home. Within a few mintues and a quick electrical jumper test involving pulling out wires and using spare paper clips, I determined with his help that it must (hopefully) be the power supply, a $25 fix.
Tomorrow is D-day; the power supply comes in the mail and if it works, I'm golden. If not, my New Computer Fund is about 3 years late in starting, and blogging will become less a test of my discipline and more a test of my roomate's generosity. I'll update tomorrow how the operation goes.
P.S. As an added note, I think the world should know that it was -40F here the other night, and daytime temperatures are only slightly better. For those of you who don't know, this means that when you step outside your front door, you feel immediatly a strange warm sensation in your body. This is called shock. Within a few seconds it wears off and all of the tiny hairs inside your nose instantly freeze, turning into mini ice-daggers that make it painful to breathe. Any exposed skin looses all feeling and the slightest movement of air (including breath) against it feels like an electric sander with #40 grit paper. Why do people live in Minnesota again?
Posted by Benjamin Washam 4:27 PM
Labels: General Reflections, Minneapolis
1 Comment:
-
- jdances said...
9:42 PMWow Benjamin. This is dedication. -40 degree weather...I think I'd be outta there. :)
