Golden Eagles
Saturday, March 10, 2007
This past week I joined Golden Eagels, an after school program run by the Minneapolis American Indian Center. The MAIC is the social and cultural "hub" for American Indians in south Minneapolis.
Each Monday from 4:30-7:00pm I get to hang out with a group of 5-12 year olds from the neighborhood. After a cafeteria style dinner together at 4:30, we split up the time with homework help time, game time in the gym, and a talking circle with special guest speakers and activities.
The theme this month is Alcohol, and the guest speaker for my first talking circle was Mike the cook, who told the kids his story of struggling through alcoholism and how it had affected his friends and family. A bunch of the kids chimed in with stories of their own about family members dying as a result of alcohol. At 7 and 8 years old it was normal to have multiple family members dead as a result of alcohol. At one point Mike was explaining how alcohol was introduced to Indians with the arrival of white people and their "whiskey." I was sitting in the circle nodding my head in ageement when I realized I was the only white person in the room! It was an ironic moment that was not so much awkward as it was meaningful. After that a little girl raised her hand and innocently asked Mike "what would it have been like if the white people had never come?" Again I looked around the room, but all eyes were on Mike. He explained how the environment would probably be in much better shape, and that you might be able drink straight out of the rivers and lakes. I thought that was a terrific answer, considering his audience. :-)
This is a fantastic opportunity not only to meet local kids and have regular interactions, but also to learn about Native culture and values alongside them.
Please pray that I can form relationships of trust with these kids, and that my presence with them would be the presence of Jesus. Pray that I would have compassion and discernment in how to love these kids well, and how best to respond to the issues they face everyday.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 10:39 PM
Labels: American Indians, Minneapolis
2 Comments:
-
- Mike and Sarah said...
11:50 AMWow benjamin, I love that storiy. I love the innocent way that kids can bring up really important issues and ask hard questions in such an honest way. I'm sure you'll learn so much being able to be a small part of these kids' lives.- Jimena said...
5:22 PMBenjamin, I will pray for you and may these children indeed see Christ in you and understand that we all need Him, and that He is there for all. God bless you and this "ministry". Peace
