Mississippi Adventure

I've had a crazy idea in my head for the last couple of weeks. It is one of those ideas that comes from deep inside a person where it is hard to trace the roots; an idea rarely accompanied by a practical plan to execute it.

The idea is this: to float down the Mississippi river from the headwaters here in Minnesota at Lake Itasca to the Gulf of Mexico at New Orleans in a raft or canoe like Huckleberry Finn and Jim. I don't know where the inspiration came from. Perhaps this "father of all rivers" for America that flows through Minneapolis just over a mile from my house has been calling to me for an adventure. Or at least telling me to come up with an adventure of my own. I've ordered every Mississippi River journey book I can find at the library, the two best being River Journey by Clarence Jonk (1933) and Mississippi Solo by Eddy L. Harris (1988). Eddy sums up my feelings in his introduction to his river journal:

Once they have reached a certain age, dreamers are no longer held in high esteem. They are ridiculed instead, called loony and lazy, even by their friends. Especially by their friends!

Dreams are delicate and made of gossamer. They hang lightly on breezes and suspend as if from nothing. The slightest wind can tear them apart. My dream was buffeted by my friends. What the hell for? they asked me. What are you trying to prove? Why don't you just go over Niagara Falls in a barrel?

...Putting a canoe into the headwaters of the Mississippi and aiming it for New Orleans is not something a man is supposed to do. It is not considered normal or sane. Perhaps it is the danger involved, or perhaps it it too much an act of desire and determination, an act of passion and volition, or simply too out of the ordinary.

For whatever reasons, my idea met with disapproval, and instead of childish jubilation I approached conoeing the river with doubt and sorrow - sorrow because the glory with which I first came upon this adventure was dashed by friends. Like Galileo before the Church, I was ready to relinquish my radical approaches and be normal.

But this dream of mine, still suspended on the breeze and delicate as ever, was just as real as those flimsy summer spider webs hanging in the air, and just as clinging. Once the webs attach themselves to you they are hard to get rid of. And so it was with my desire to ride the river.

I doubt I will ever float down the length of the Mississippi, but what other gossomer calling is attatched to my life? I intend to find out.

Posted by Benjamin Washam 11:40 AM  

5 Comments:

  1. Mike and Sarah said...
    Go for it Benjamin! At least consider the river trip, if God's not giving you direction from outside of you maybe he's giving you direction from the inside?
    Diana said...
    Dude. Huckelberry Finn is probably one of the all time coolest characters: I've wanted to take an overnight raft trip ever since reading about his adventures (not to mention how great it would be to find pirate's gold!) I agree with Mike - you should do it! That's what free spirits have to do: let the dreams keep living...
    Ryan Franke said...
    NICE! I like that... allot. Yah dude, for me it's the Pacific Crest. I'm taking aim, I just hope i can pull it off! I can relate to the spider webs. Sure hope you and Nathanael will be on the trail with me. The Lord knows! Later dude. See you soon... on the trail! How bout that?
    Anonymous said...
    I think the reason friends would dissuade you from such an adventure (like what this guy encountered) is the they're afraid of seeming really boring in comparison! And when you reach a certain age you're supposed to have accepted your boring, civilized, responsible fate by then and it's immature to do otherwise. But then someone does something exciting in spite of themselves and makes everyone realize how much they want to do it too!
    Haha- so do things now before there's much social tension involved, and before you become responsible by accident.
    But I think the Crest Trail is a better idea.. large bodies of water are kind of scary.
    megan said...
    what's stopping you? that's awesome!

    ps want company? :D

Post a Comment