Relocation to Portland
Monday, January 07, 2008
Yes, I'm moving to Portland! Why the 2000 mile leap out of nowhere, you ask?
It's not out of nowhere, really - in fact, many people (myself included) have been predicting it for some time and wondering why it never happened sooner! One of the reasons it took me so long is spelled out in the above post; I didn't know what I wanted, and I wouldn't even let myself want for fear that it would oppose "orders from above," whenever they happened to show up. My trip home to Washington State at Christmas confirmed that I DO truly love the Pacific Northwest (PNW) and want to live there. Unemployed and unhappy in Minneapolis, I figured now was the perfect time to jump! I landed on Portland as a new home by a process of elimination: I knew I wanted the PNW, proximity to family in Yakima and Portland, and that I would probably require a larger city to ensure employment and networking. That left Seattle and Portland. From everything I've seen and heard, Portland is a lot more my style. And the last straw - I was actually born in Portland, at Kaiser Memorial Hospital.
Strangely enough, Minneapolis and Portland have a lot in common; so much so that I refer to them as the "sister" cities. Minneapolis already has a twin, so I guess Portland is fraternal. (Minneapolis is on the left.)

Quick facts:
Both are by far the largest cities in their respective states - states with very few other urban centers.
Both were founded at the confluence of two rivers (Willamette/Columbia, Mississippi/Minnesota) as a result of the lumber and milling industry.
Both cities are very politically progressive and environmentally aware ("green").
Both have a river as the primary feature of their downtown scene.
With the exception of maybe San Francisco, Minneapolis and Portland are known as the most bike friendly cities in the US.
My plan is to leave in the next two weeks, or whenever my car is road-trip worthy, I have enough gas money, and I pack. I am deeply saddened by the thought of leaving my community of friends in Minneapolis, but I believe it is a necessary parting at this stage of my life. The thought of a new start in a place I love, close to family, surrounded by mountains, ocean, and old friends, makes me very excited to get going. If anyone has leads for jobs in Portland (in Communication, Multimedia, Writing, Music, or just whatever) let me know!
Posted by Benjamin Washam 10:51 PM
Labels: Minneapolis, Portland
1 Comment:
-
- Chelleboogie said...
8:30 PMWow! You're back on the West Coast! Yay! ;)
