Loaves and Fishes
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. The he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all. They all ate and were satisfied. Mark 6:41, 42
Last Thursday I went on an ambling walk around the neighborhood without any particular goal. I passed by Holy Rosary Catholic church, which I had done many times before; however, this time I saw a side door open leading down to the basement. I approched the entrance and tried the door - it was unlocked. As I peeked my head inside, I found myself staring into the large basement kitchen of the church - red tile floors and lots of stainless steel countertops. A kind looking older gentleman asked me, "are you here for loaves and fishes?" I had no reason not to be, so I said "yeah, sure." He proceded to hand me an apron and point me to a stack of frozen turkey breasts that needed to be unwrapped and put on baking sheets.
Through the course of the next two hours I met the people of two methodist churches that prepare a meal a month at this location of Loaves and Fishes that serves a free dinner to an average of 350 families and homeless people four nights a week. After meal preparations were done, I left for about an hour and then came back when the meal was served to stand in line with everyone else. The food was terrific and healthy, and I realized that almost half of the people were Native, mostly children from Little Earth, the Native American housing project across the street from the church.
I've been back twice already to eat - I need the food and it is a great place to meet people. Yesterday I met Iner (pronounced as in "niner"), an older Native man from the neighborhood. After becoming sober himself ten years ago, he now works at Anishinabe Wakiagun, which provides housing for 40 late stage chronic inebriates. He told me to ask anyone along Franklin Street for Iner and they could tell me. "Look for the guy with the black hat and jacket on the silver bike. That'll be me." He also told me if there's anything I need, to let him know. Please pray that I could meet up with him again.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 12:49 PM
Labels: Minneapolis
