The Death Of A Car
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
My Jeep, Mary, is dead.
In just over nine months she twice carried me and all my physical possesions across the country without a fuss, until, at the ripe old age of 210,473 miles, she passed on. That was yesterday - I was on my to read meters for work when she popped out of gear, never to go back in again. It seems she died of a severe case of disagreement between her many gears.
To find out why she was named Mary, you have to watch this Irish tv commercial where the inspiration came to the former owner, my college roomate, Mike. The phrase "come on, Mary!" was used often enough to get the car started or to make it up a big hill.
The picture at the top is of Mary and I at the Badlands in South Dakota during my road trip from Chicago back to Yakima, WA after I graduated from college. If you look closely in the picture (click on it to zoom in) you can see all my stuff crammed in the back and the tip of a lone close hanger sticking up in the passenger seat.
This is sad news as it feels like I have lost a long-time friend. But more than that - it puts me in a predicament as far as transportation goes. I just started this new meter reading job last week, and I need a car to continue working. (I can't afford to not be working right now!) I have been overwhelmed by the amount of people who have said I can borrow their car when I need it. I am hugely grateful to them, but at the same time, I am still praying that God would provide a more permanent form of transportation. I am thankful for the extra years that God seemed to stretch out of this vehicle when she should have stopped many miles ago.
Posted by Benjamin Washam 9:44 PM
Labels: General Reflections, Minneapolis
2 Comments:
-
- Mark said...
12:16 AMThis is indeed a sad day. One more time, just for Mike: "Come on, May-ry! Come on, May-ry!" ("It's a girl!")- Nathanael said...
12:42 PMDude, Mr. Kipling should direct more nativity plays! I can't stop laughing!
